Friday, October 23, 2009

Milk-Bone Substitutes

Sydney is the other girl in our family.

She likes Milk-Bones. Well, actually she'll eat anything but Milk-Bones are what she gets.
Milk-Bones are pricey and I'm trying to do what I can to save money over here.
I scanned the web and found this recipe (Basic Dog Treats). The result - 250 very tasty little heart-shaped biscuits.

Actually DH claims that if I added salt, he would eat them too.

I calculated the cost to see if this made economic sense.
(I used good quality chicken stock, which drove the price up significantly.)

Unbleached flour $0.17
Whole wheat flour $0.21
Cornmeal $0.42
chicken stock $4.05
yeast $0.49

Total: $5.34 per batch of 40oz, which is $0.13 per ounce
If I'd used cheap, canned chicken stock: $0.08 per ounce

Milk Bones: $4.69 for 24oz, which is $0.20 per ounce

Bottom line: Even taking into account the electricity used to bake these, homemade is cheaper and much better for Sydney, having none of the coloring and preservatives found in commercial biscuits.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment